An Awakened or Enlightened One.
2. Lit., Thus who hath come.
3. Lit., the Worthy Ones. They are the enlightened disciples who have
destroyed all passions.
4. The Teaching.
5. The Discipline.
6. Bhikkhu Silacara
7. Craving associated with "Eternalism" (sassataditthi)
8. Craving associated with "Nihilism" (ucchedaditthi)
9. Culakamma Vibhanga Sutta -- Majjhima Nikaya, No. 135.
10. See "Many Mansions and The World Within" by Gina Cerminara.
11. C.E.M. Joad, The Meaning of Life
12. See Compendium of Philosophy, Tr. by Shwe Zan Aung (Pali Text
Society, London) -- Introduction p. 12.
13. Compare the cinematograph film where the individual photographs
give rise to a notion of movement.
14. Evidently the writer is referring to the state of an arahat after
15. This introductory part may be omitted by non-Buddhists.
16. Here the term "I" is used in a conventional sense.
© 1982 Buddhist Publication Society
P.O. Box 61
Kandy, Sri Lanka
free distribution only.
may print copies of this work for your personal use. You may re-format
and redistribute this work for use on computers and computer networks,
provided that you charge no fees for its distribution or use. Otherwise,
all rights reserved.